Sunday, September 23, 2007

So Far In Glass Castle

I chose to read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. One major reason I chose to read this book is because it is a memoir. As we are reading Black boy, I thought it would be fun to be able to compare and contrast writing styles for the same genre. I have only read The Glass Castle during the time we got in class last wednesday, so i havent much to say. So far though, they both have a sad tone. In Black Boy, Richard's family life isn't very stable. I see a similarity in The Glass Castle. Jeannette starts the story as a little girl. She was burned very badly while cooking lunch on her own at only age three. She is put in the hospital for a little while and really likes it there. But, her dad decides to sneak her out of the hospital for "her own good". I feel that shes not going to get along very well with her parents as the book progresses. I am excited to read more in the book, and have heard it is very good from many people. Goodbye for now!

No comments: