Monday, February 18, 2008

The Odyssey

I didn't think I would enjoy the Odyssey at all, but I actually have. The book gets off to a slow start, but has really picked up pace. I am so glad that Odysseus has returned home safely, but I feel bad that he is still suffering at the hands of the suitors after his many hard years at sea. I know his plan to overtake them is well underway, and it looks as if the big battle will occur in chapter 22. I am predicting that he will win Penelope back at last, and I find it weird that she is giving up on him now that everyone says he is coming back. I wonder how she will take it when he reveals himself to her. She will be so overjoyed with happiness. So many people have not been loyal to Odysseus, and I am glad he plans on getting rid of the unfaithful. Telemachus and his father seem to have alot in common, and are almost the same person. I guess the saying "like father like son" really holds true in this case. Thank goodness he will have the support of his Swineherd and Cowherd in the battle against the suitors, because even though the Gods are on his side, two against many doesn't leave a very good chance. I am excited to read the final books of the story!

No comments: