Sunday, December 2, 2007

The research paper!

I've been working hard on my research paper, and have actually had fun researching uniforms. I've learned a lot from the articles I've read. Many people support uniforms. Research leads to the conclusion that uniforms have benefits such as decreased violence, higher test scores, less teasing, increased school attendance, lower clothing costs, and higher student confidence. Also, parents report an easier morning routine. Studies have supported this data, and now uniforms are moving from private schools, to public ones. On the other hand, many don't approve of uniforms. Arguments against them are definitely present. Some claim a violation of the 14th amendment, others say they have paid much more than fits into their budget for the outfits, researchers are skeptical about the benefits partly because other factors may contribute, and kids just don't like wearing them. I've taken pretty much a middle ground on the issue. I think uniforms can be very beneficial, and schools should consider adopting them with exceptions to help those who can't afford it, and transfers to schools that don't require them. Hopefully my paper will come together!

No comments: