Sunday, March 9, 2008

All the Pretty Horses.

I was a little lost at first in All the Pretty Horses, but have been able to better understand the book since the first nights reading. Rawlins and John Grady are sure dedicated to getting away from their homes as they leave for Mexico and don't once look back. They are only sixteen, and I wouldn't be ready for the real world at that age. I think they make a good pair of buddies, and that their friendship will be able to last through the journey. I think that Blevins, the boy they meet on trail, is a bit annoying. I really do wonder where he got his horse, and why how he is going to survive on his own. Rawlins seems to hate the boy, and I don't blame him as the only thing Blevins does is cause trouble, but John Grady feels some sort of a responsibility for him. Blevins shows his immaturity, as well as craving for adventure, when he takes back is big bay horse from the local Mexicans. I do respect him though for trying to leave his "friends" out of the mess. At the ranch where Rawlins and John Grady work as cowboys, John Grady shows his skills. He trains sixteen wild horses for riding, and the wealthy head of the ranch takes notice. He is promoted. John definitely has a thing for the owner's daughter, and she seems somewhat interested in him as well. I think a romance might spark. I hope that John Grady's promotion and his crush on Alexjandra doesn't come between his friendship with Rawlins.

No comments: