Sunday, March 9, 2008

O Brother Where Art Thou

I forgot to comment on O Brother after we watched it. I truly enjoyed the movie, and did indeed see similarities to The Odyssey. Everett, Pete, and Delmer were a good match. They kind of reminded me of the three amigos. The parallels The Odyssey were great: the lotus eaters to the religious group being washed away of their sins, the sirens to the ladies washing themselves in the lake, and the cyclops to the man with the eye patch were cleaver yet easy to see. Both the epic poem as well as the film followed the Hero Quest pattern as well. I am glad the evil mayor was exposed and discarded by the people. Tommy was also a good addition to the group of amigos, and I thought his role in the soggy bottom boys was essential. Their hit song in constant sorrow was amazing, and I wonder if George Clooney can actually sing. I liked the ending, as Everett got his wife Penny back, who by the way is the voice of the mom in the Incredibles, but I didn't understand why she had been so hard on him at first. I thought it was kind of opposite to Penelope who mourned her husband for a very long time, and told no one that he was dead until the near end of his journey. I very much enjoy watching movies in school and hope to view another film soon.

No comments: